You may register if...
If you satisfy the following requirements, then you may register and vote in Manatee County :
· Be a citizen of the United States.
· Be a legal Florida Resident.
· Be 18 years old (you may pre-register to vote at 16, but cannot vote until you are 18 years old).
· Not now be adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting in Florida or any other state, without having the right to vote restored.
· Not have been convicted of a felony, without your civil rights having been restored.
· Provide your current and valid Florida driver's license number or Florida identification card number. If you do not have a current and valid Florida driver's license or Florida identification card, you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security number.
For more information on how to register to vote in Manatee County, see the Supervisor of Elections website.
How to Pick a Candidate for Office
Elections present voters with important choices. Whether it is a local race that will affect your community or a national race that could change the direction of the country, it is a time to consider the issues which you care about and decide which candidate you support. Even if you are under 18 and not yet eligible to vote, election campaigns offer an excellent way to learn about the people and issues that affect your future.
But how do voters go about comparing and then judging the candidates? All too often, slogans, name recognition and personality are all that come through in campaign materials. Because television continues to dominate political campaigns, with the Internet as an every growing presence, it is difficult to move beyond a candidate’s image to the substance of a campaign.
However, it is possible to move beyond style to substance. The seven steps outlined in this brochure are designed to help you judge a candidate. Click on:
Participate in government—Let your elected officials hear from you!
For names, address, emails of elected officials, see:
Be an active, informed voter
1 – Register to vote
2 – Educate yourself about the candidates and issues on the ballot
3 – Vote! – Every election
League of Women Voters of Manatee County
P.O. Box 545
Bradenton, FL 34206-0545